It was an exciting month! I got the first professionally done art into the demo, and it makes a huge difference! As this project gets closer to being a real live thing, it's a ton of fun to start talking with more and more people about it and get more people involved in it.
So, with further ado, here's a small sample of some of the new art you'll be seeing in the game:
Overall I'm very happy with how the game plays right now though, even though there are still a few functional pieces (such as the mailbox, and fertilizer variety) which are so simple right now and will end up having a lot more depth.
Here's a quick list of new features for the demo:
- Enhanced Shopping - There's a new button in the item shop so that you can minimize the bottom portion of the menu. In this mode, items you buy will go directly into the cursor instead of to the Tool Shed. This lets you buy items and then use them on the farm right away. I've found it makes applying lots of Fertilizer go much faster and require a lot fewer annoying clicks!
- Improved Soil Initialization - The starting conditions of your farm will now be much more realistic. Both the nutrient amounts and the substrate type of the soil now form natural peaks and valleys with a much more organic feel. Now it's easier to locate an ideal area for planting.
- Farm Information Overlays - There's a small new menu hiding behind a magnifying glass icon which lets you toggle some farm-wide information on and off. You can see at a quick glance what the substrate type and nutrient levels are across your whole farm, again making it easier to find good spots for planting, as well as making it easier to see where Fertilizer might be needed.
- Confirmation Dialogs - A small bit of polish here - now when you do actions such as saving or loading your game, you'll get a confirmation pop-up in case you hit the button accidentally. I tried not to over-do the amount of these. I might add options to disable them in the future for people who dislike them.
- Out Of Season Growing - Plants now have a preferred season they do best growing in. If you grow them out of their regular season, they'll grow more slowly and be less tolerant of extreme conditions, but they'll be worth more cash. This should open up some exciting new strategies for success!
- Tutorial Replay - There's a new option in the House menu so that you can no replay the main tutorial if you so desire.
As usual I also fixed a number of small bugs, including some fun ones such as an item duplication exploit. Classic!
Like I said, the demo functionality is pretty much wrapped up at this point. I might do a little bit more polish or touch up the tutorials some more, but I'm not planning on any big new features until the first release of the full game. Most of the month I'll be working on marketing material and getting more of the art into the game as it comes in.
Thanks a lot to everyone who has been keeping up with the game and giving me ideas for how to improve it. Your support has been amazing!